If tender fall off the bone chicken tickles your fancy then this recipe is an absolute must try, as long as you have access to a sizable cast iron dutch oven. If you happen to own a large Big Green Egg consider yourself lucky as the outcome will only be that much better. A few sprigs of fresh herbs, four wedges of lemon and a dash of extra virgin olive oil will make you as though you are enjoying a meal on the coast of Athens.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cracked Black Pepper
1. Begin by slicing six large potatoes into medallions. Position the sliced potatoes in the bottom of the Cast Iron Dutch Oven > Get One at Amazon. Salt and pepper the sliced potatoes to taste.
2. Add the fresh sage, them and rosemary to a large mortar and pestle > Buy Now at Amazon. Add in a little olive oil and begin crushing and mixing the fresh herbs together.
3. Rub the chicken all over with the crushed fresh herbs, salt and cracked black pepper. Be sure to rub inside the cavity as well as underneath the skin.
4. Slice one whole lemon into four wedges and place two of the wedges inside the cavity of the chicken.
5. Slice one whole purple onion into four wedges and place two inside the cavity of the chicken along with the lemon. Discard the remaining two wedges of purple onion.
6. Lay the whole chicken breast side up on top of the lemons and potatoes.
7. Squeeze the juice from the remaining two wedges over the chicken and potatoes.
8. Peel one whole bulb of garlic and place cloves in various spots on, in and around the whole chicken.
9. Use about four inches of twine to tie the legs of the chicken together.
10. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil all over the chicken and potatoes.
11. Preheat the Big Green Egg to at least 400 degrees fahrenheit.
12. Once the Big Green Egg has reached the appropriate temperature place the Cast Iron Dutch Oven > Buy Now at Amazon on top of the plate setter > Get It at Amazon using the baking / roasting configuration.
13. Allow the Dutch Oven Mediterranean Chicken to cook in the Big Green Egg for at least 90 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees fahrenheit.