For about the past twelve years I have wanted to invest in some sort of panini press. I’m not sure what it is about hot pressed sandwiches that make me weak at the knees but I can never get enough of them. Luckily I waited twelve years before making one of the better decisions of my life. In the midst of transitioning all of my cookware to cast iron I came across a unique panini setup by Lodge MFG. I would have never thought that two simple pieces of cast iron would enable me to create such magical pressed sandwiches!
Grilled Chicken Breast
Cracked Black Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
1. Slice whole chicken breast into halves.
2. Place the sliced chicken breast into a gallon zip lock back along with fresh cracked black pepper, kosher salt and extra virgin olive oil.
3. Grill the chicken over high heat after its set for at least six hours.
4. Add a layer of mayo to the bottom of the ciabatta roll and add a layer of sun dried tomato pesto to the top roll.
5. Add a handful of arugula leaves to the bottom roll.
6. Place two tomato slices directly on top of the arugula.
7. Add two or three slices of chicken breast next.
8. Place mozzarella slices on top of the chicken breast.
9. Place two basil leaves on top of the mozzarella slices and add the top roll.
11. Place the assembled sandwich in the griddle skillet and place the top over the sandwich and allow it to cook for approximately three minutes.
12. Remove the panini from the griddle skillet, slice and serve!