Spaghetti and Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs are the perfect combination of authentic Italian cuisine and southern backyard BBQ. While the home ground meatballs are the star of the show the homemade marinara offers a strong supplement of flavor and flare to this extraordinarily flavorful dish.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cracked Black Pepper
2. Feed the strips of chuck roast into the meat grinder and collect the ground beef in a large mixing bowl.
3. Once all of the chuck roast is ground add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to the mixing bowl.
4. Add the kosher salt, cracked black pepper, ground fennel, Italian seasoning, and breadcrumbs to the ground beef and begin working all of the ingredients together.
5. Break down the ground beef and roll smaller pieces into gold ball sized meatballs and set aside until all of the beef is rolled.
6. Using your thumb make an indention in each of the meatballs and add a small chunk of mozzarella cheese inside. Roll the meat around the cheese and set aside until all are complete.
7. Start the Big Green Egg and set for indirect cooking at about 350 degrees fahrenheit.
8. Allow the meat cook indirect for 45 minutes to one hour depending on the size of the meatballs.
9. Add water to a large aluminum stock pot > Buy Now at Amazon and bring to the boil.
10. Once the water is boiling add the tomatoes and allow them to boil for about 90 seconds.
11. Remove the tomatoes from the boiling water and remove the skin.
12. Chop the skinned tomatoes and set aside.
13. Chop one bulb of garlic as well as one sweet onion and place in a large cast iron skillet > Buy Now at Amazon with extra virgin olive oil.
14. Brown the garlic and sweet onion over medium heat for about five minutes stirring and turning frequently.
15. Add the chopped tomatoes to the skillet with the garlic and sweet onion.
16. Add three tablespoons of sugar, cracked black pepper add basil and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
17. Remove the sauce from the heat and allow to cool for about ten minutes.
18. Add the sauce to a food processor > Buy Now at Amazon and puree until smooth.
19. In a large stock pot > Buy Now at Amazon cook the spaghetti pasta according to instructions on the package.
20. Plate cooked spaghetti and top with the marinara and meatballs. Garnish with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.