International BBQ presents us with a number of delights that we don’t typically have the luxury of enjoying. While low and slow is pretty much the only way to go, there is just something so enticing about the concept of sitting next to an open fire pit and getting a tasty piece of meat cooked up in less than an hour. Smofried Asado Rubbed Flank Steak proves that sometimes simplicity is the key element to great BBQ!
1. Begin by rubbing the whole flank steak with extra virgin olive oil.
2. Next rub the flank steak with Smofried Asado Rub.
3. Place the flank steak in a large one gallon zip lock bag and place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours up to a full day.
4. Start a live fire, or just use charcoal on a regular grill.
5. While the fire is getting going take the time to slice up two small yellow onions along with a few colorful bell peppers.
6. Once the fire is fully ignited place the flank steak as close to the flames as possible without scorching it.
7. Allow the flank steak to cook for approximately a half an hour. Less or more time may be needed depending on the weight.
8. Add extra virgin olive oil to a cast iron or comparable skillet and place it on the grill next to the flank steak.
9. Once the skillet has reached a hot enough temperature add the sliced bell peppers and yellow onion and allow the vegetables to cook down slightly.
10. Remove the flank steak from the grill as well as the roasted vegetables.
11. Allow the flank steak to rest for approximately ten minutes before slicing it against the grain.
12. Enjoy the flank steak by itself or make fajitas with the roasted vegetables.