The look, the feel and the taste of authentic Mexican food is second to none no matter what corner of the world you are in! Nothing less was expected when I decided to put together a few random ingredients that I have had laying around in my pantry for the past few months. A fresh pack of boneless skinless chicken breast, my trusty seven quart dutch oven and a few fresh pepper powders made me feel as if I were on a culinary expedition south of the border.
4 Cups Water
Chipotle In Adobo – 7 oz.
Ancho Pepper Powder
Anaheim Pepper Powder
Cracked Black Pepper
Taco Toppings Ingredients:
Nacho Toppings Ingredients:
Mexican Crema Ingredients:
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 TBS – Buttermilk
1. In a large Cast Iron Dutch Oven > Available At Amazon add four cups of water and one seven ounce can of chipotles in adobo.
2. Chop or slice approximately one and a half white onions and place in the cast iron dutch oven.
3. Mix two tablespoons of olive oil and 8 – 10 ounces of local honey to the water and onions.
4. Mix one tablespoon of each of the dry ingredients into the cast iron dutch oven and stir until mixed well.
5. Once the liquid is mixed well add up to five pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast to the cast iron dutch oven.
6. Start the Big Green Egg and set with the roasting configuration Platesetter > Available At Amazon – Feet Down.
7. Once the Big Green Egg reaches 450 degrees fahrenheit place the cast iron dutch oven on top of the platesetter.
8. Allow the chicken to braise in the cast iron dutch oven for approximately 100 minutes.
9. Once the chicken has braised for the appropriate amount of time remove the cast iron dutch oven from the Big Green Egg and allow to cool for up to one hour.
10. Once the cast iron dutch oven is cool enough to handle strain off the excess water and pull the chicken apart with two forks.
11. Make the mexican crema by combining one cup of heavy whipping cream with one tablespoon of buttermilk. Transfer the mexican crema to a squeeze bottle and set aside.
12. Warm corn tortillas in a Cast Iron Skillet > Available At Amazon or on the Big Green Egg.
13. Prepare the tacos by first adding the shredded chicken to the warmed tacos then layering on the purple cabbage, queso fresco, cilantro and mexican cream. Garnish with a lime and serve.
14. Prepare the nachoos by first adding the shredded chicken to a long plate then layer on the green onions, queso fresco, cilantro and mexican cream.