There are some things in life that you just can’t get enough of. For me, a few of those things happen to be tacos. So this is what happens when your new book about Korean BBQ arrives and immediately finds it’s way next to my other favorite book about Tacos! An aura of creativity is suddenly sparked when the endless possibilities of what can happen when Korean BBQ meets Tacos. I wouldn’t say that I have the greatest imagination by any means but for some reason that changes whenever I get the chance to play with the flavors of Korean BBQ. For a cuisine that relies so heavily on just three staple ingredients, Korean BBQ satisfies in a sweet and refreshing way that nothing else can compare to!
Grilled Cucumber + Peach Relish
Rice Wine Vinegar
Light Brown Sugar
1. Begin by cutting the Peaches in half, then remove the pit.
2. Slice the Cucumbers into thick medallions and set aside.
3. In two separate bowl mix together light Brown Sugar, Soy Sauce, Honey and Rice Wine Vinegar.
4. Mix the ingredients together before placing the the cut Peaches and Cucumber into the bowls.
5. Allow the Cucumbers and Peaches to marinade in the mixture for about an hour.
6. Grill the Peach halves and Cucumber medallions for about one minute per side.
7. Remove the Peaches and Cucumbers from the grill and allow them to cool before removing the skin from the Peaches.
8. Chop the Cucumbers and Peaches into your desired consistency for Relish.
9. Mix the Cucumber and Peaches together in a large mixing bowl adding just a touch of Rice Wine Vinegar and extra Honey, if necessary.
10. Place the Cucumber Peach Relish in the fridge allowing it to chill for at least one hour before serving.
Onion + Garlic Relish
Rice Wine Vinegar
1. Peel one large White Onion then dice it into small chunks.
2. Place the diced White Onion into a mixing bowl.
3. Next peel, crush and chop three cloves of Garlic before adding them to the mixing bowl with the White Onion.
4. Pour Rice Wine Vinegar, Soy Sauce and Honey into the mixing bowl then stir all of the ingredients together.
5. Place the Onion-Garlic Relish in the fridge allowing it to chill for at least one hour before serving.
Mango + Habanero Sauce
1. Peel one or two unripe Mangos.
2. Using a fine cheese grater, grate the fruit into a medium sized bowl.
3. Cut three to four Habanero Peppers in half then remove the seeds and rind.
4. Thinly slice the Habanero Peppers before adding the slices to the Mango puree.
5. Add in one tablespoon of natural Honey for each Mango used.
6. Using a wooden spoon mix the ingredients together then set the bowl in the fridge allowing it to chill for at least one hour before serving.
1. Quarter and core three Bosc Pears along with three D’Anjou Pears.
2. Place the remains of the pears in a blender then add a few pieces of unpeeled Ginger Root to the blender.
3. Add one bulb of Garlic to the blender with the Pears and Ginger.
4. Blend the ingredients until a smooth mixture forms.
5. Pour the blended ingredients into a large mixing bowl and follow up with Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil and Brown Sugar.
6. Using a large wooden spoon mix the ingredients together until one uniform color is achieved.
7. Trim one bunch of Green Onions then chop the remaining into small portions before adding them to the blended marinade ingredients.
8. Add the Bulgogi Marinade to a food safe container then add in the Flanken Cut Short Ribs.
9. Allow the Short Ribs to marinate in the Bulgogi mix for at least 24 hours. The longer the better!
10. Once the Short Ribs have had adequate time to marinade prepare a grill for high indirect heat.
11. Cook the marinated Short Ribs on the grill for about twenty minutes or until you can see them begin to break away from the bones.
12. Once the Short Ribs are finished cooking remove them from the grill then remove the meat from the bones and set aside.
13. Toast several street taco tortillas prior to adding equal helpings of meat to each of the tortillas.
14. Dress the Korean BBQ “Street” Tacos with any assortment of accoutrements that we made earlier!
15. Garnish the tacos with finely chopped Cilantro and thinly sliced Red Radishes.