Short rib tacos are an undeniable Mexican staple of epic proportions. We added some of our favorite Mexican beer along with some full leaf Mexican oregano to take the authentic flavor composition to an entirely different stratosphere. Throw in the Big Green Egg and a cast iron Dutch Oven from Lodge and this recipe will easily move up the ranks as one of your favorite go to Mexican inspired recipes. Who doesn’t love them some Tacos?
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cracked Black Pepper
Corn Tortilla Shells
1. Begin by adding approximately 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to a 5 quart cast iron Dutch oven.
2. Using a garlic press add in 3 to 5 cloves of pressed to the cast iron pot.
3. Place 10 to 12 pieces of beef short ribs inside of the cast iron Dutch oven.
4. Add about 20 turns of fresh cracked black pepper and 3 tablespoons of Kosher salt to the cast iron Dutch oven.
5. Add a handful of dried Mexican oregano as well as 3 tablespoons of ground cumin powder to the mix.
6. Pour up to 3 – 12 ounce Negra Modelos into the cast iron Dutch oven with the rest of the ingredients.
7. Quarter then slice one whole red onion and add to the cast iron Dutch oven with the rest of the ingredients.
8. Set the Big Green Egg for roasting at about 400 degrees fahrenheit.
9. Once the Big Green Egg has reached the appropriate temperature place the cast iron Dutch oven with lid on and cook for approximately two hours.
10. While short rib are cooking on the Big Green Egg take some time to chop up a whole pineapple as well as one whole white onion.
11. Once the short ribs have braised for two hours remove them from the liquid and place over direct heat and sear for another ten minutes, turning often.
12.Once the short ribs have had time to brown on each side remove them from the direct heat and remove the meat from the bones.
13. Continue by shredding the short ribs into small bits.
14. Toast corn tortillas over direct heat for one minute per side before adding the short rib meat and topping them with pineapple chunks and white onion. Add a few sprigs of fresh cilantro to garnish.