If Smofried had a flavor distinction it would most likely be located at the intersection of Sweet, Sour and Smoked Avenue. Regardless of the chosen path all three roads lead to the epicenter of taste in our latest concoction. Smofried EGGs are the culmination of both international and local opinions of the things that should be done to an EGG. Inspiration on this one came by way of a Thai favorite mixed with a little southern pride!
Deli Style Sweet Relish
Smofried Korean BBQ Sauce:
Rice Wine Vinegar
- For the Korean BBQ Sauce combine 1/4 cup Gochujang Paste with 1/2 cup Hoisin Sauce, 1/4 cup Natural Honey and 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredients to form the Korean BBQ sauce that will be used as a garnish once the EGGs are cooked.
- Source used Bourbon Barrel staves for the smoke element. If you can’t find Bourbon Barrel staves just use a mild fruit wood to smoke the EGGs. Avoid using harsh woods such as Oak, Mesquite or Hickory as the smoke flavor will be too heavy for the EGGs.
- Prepare the Big Green EGG or smoker for smoking at 210F.
- Once the Big Green EGG reaches the appropriate temperature smoke the EGGs at a steady 210F for 2 hours.
- After a couple of hours carefully remove them from the Big Green EGG or smoker.
- Give the EGGs sufficient time to cool down enough to touch.
- Once the EGGs are cool enough to touch roll them across a hard surface to begin peeling off the shell.
- After removing the shells slice the EGGs down the middle then remove the hardened yolks and place them and the EGG white halves in separate large mixing bowls.
- Once all of the EGG yolks are removed add 1/4 cup of Mexicana Crema the large mixing bowl that they’re in.
- Crush and finely chop 3 cloves of garlic then add them to the mixing bowl of EGG yolks.
- Add in 1/4 cup of Deli Style Sweet Relish to the mixing bowl with the yolks.
- Begin mixing the EGG yolks along with the other ingredients while adding in additional Mexicana Crema until the desired creaminess is achieved.
- Place the EGG yolk mix in the refrigerator then heat two quarts of peanut oil in a cast iron wok.
- Once the oil is up to temperature (about 350F) begin dropping in the EGG white halves four at a time.
- Fry the EGG white halves for two to three minutes or until they form a golden brown crust all over.
- Remove the fried EGG white halves and allow them time to drain off excess oil on a wire rack.
- Once the EGG white halves are cool enough to touch begin spooning in equal portions of the EGG yolk mixture into the cavities.
- Garnish the Smofried EGGs with Korean BBQ sauce and chopped sage.