I don’t think there’s any debate when it comes to America’s consensus choice for the cornerstone of breakfast foods. Chances are no matter how old you are, you love bacon. But what happens when you take bacon to the next stratosphere? SmoFried Pork Belly is what happens!
10 lb. Pork Belly
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Four Roses – Kentucky Straight Bourbon
Fresh Ginger Root
Real Maple Syrup
1 Head of Cabbage
1 Unpeeled Red Apple
1 Unpeeled Granny Smith Apple
1 Carrot Grated
1 Bunch Green Onions
1/3 Cup Olive Oil Mayonnaise
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Lime Juice
1. Score pork belly on the skin side and stab pork belly on the flesh side
2. Puree ginger root in a food processor
3. Grind fresh cracked black pepper about 200 turns
4. Work the Kosher salt and cracked black pepper into both sides of the pork belly.
5. Place the pork belly in a large 2 gallon zip lock bag and refrigerate for 24-72 hours.
6. Smoke the pork belly at about 250 degrees for 4 hours over peach and apple wood chunks.
7. While the pork belly is smoking begin chopping all of the slaw ingredients. Mix all of the slaw ingredients in a large mixing bowl until everything is evenly dispersed.
8. Slice the pork belly into half inch slices and prepare a large cast-iron skillet for searing at medium heat. Sear the pork belly cuts for about two minutes per side.
9. Add two pork belly cuts to a warm flour tortilla then top with the apple cabbage slaw.