In all honesty good spinach and artichoke dip is not a very hard food item to come by these days. All you have to do is merely mix a few different cheese and a couple of chopped vegetables and you can have yourself a damn good dip within minutes. Armed with some cast iron serving dishes and the great Big Green Egg we set out to shake things up a little and see if we could take Spinach + Artichoke Dip to the next level.
Monterrey Jack Chees
Half & Half
1. Begin by defrosting the spinach and artichoke.
2. As the spinach and artichoke hearts defrost begin dicing the yellow onion into small pieces, then add them to a large mixing bowl.
3. Cut the ends off of two jalapeño peppers, then slice each one in half.
4. Remove all of the seeds along with the membrane from the jalapeños, then dice them and add into the mixing bowl with the chopped onion and artichoke hearts.
5. Next grate the Monterrey jack and mozzarella cheese blocks then add them along with the parmesan cheese to the mixing bowl.
6. Add the canned green chiles to the mixing bowl along with the cream cheese and sour cream.
7. Pour in enough half and half to get the desired consistency. The amount you use will depend on the amount of spinach dip you’ll be making.
8. By this time the frozen spinach should be defrosted. Using a strainer squeeze and press out as much of the water as you possibly can before adding it to the mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
9. If you have a pair of tight fitting powder free latex gloves wear them to hand mix all of the ingredients in the mixing bowl. This should only take a couple of minutes for the dip to completely mix.
10. Transfer the dip to the appropriate containers for cooking.
11. Allow the Big Green Egg to reach a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit using the roasting configuration.
12. Though you’ll be technically smoking the dip make sure not to allow too much smoke to interact with it.
13. Allow the spinach and artichoke dip to cook for approximately 30 minutes or until the top begins to form a light brown color.
14. Allow the spinach and artichoke dip a reasonable amount of time to cool before enjoying!